To provide leadership to swimmers, coaches and volunteers working poolside to help all swimmers achieve their full potential up to and including national level.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Portadown Amateur Swimming Club (PASC) Head Coach
Health and Safety
- Comply with Swim Ireland, Swim Ulster, ABC, PASC and Cascades policies and procedures to ensure the safety of swimmers, your own safety and parents at all times
- Adherence to all club policies, including child welfare
- Ensure any child protection issues or concerns are passed onto the Children’s Designated Protection officer so they can be dealt with promptly and in line with appropriate policies.
- Develop a positive working partnership with coaches, committee, swimmers, their parents and all colleagues working within the swimming family such as ABC Council, Swim Ulster and Swim Ireland.
- Attend team meetings as required by the Head Coach.
Coaching and competing
- Take ownership to ensure any relevant Swim Ireland qualification ensuring that all qualifications are renewed and updated as and when required
- To commit to attend CPD opportunities as appropriate and facilitate your personal development
- To keep up to date knowledge of all the technical rules of swimming and share with team coaches
- To support and strive to continually improve performance in galas, and attend competitions in line with PASC policy
- Support the Head Coach in providing weekly a minimum of 1 to 2 training sessions
- Ability to take initiative and perform duties as assigned by the Head Coach
- Support the head coach in implementing a 12-month competition schedule
- Support the head coach in the implementation of a structured training programme for all squads to achieve their full potential. Provide input to the head coach for each swimmer in determining squad selection
- Provide feedback to the head coach for all existing programmes including all squad training sessions, membership etc. and support the head coach in implementation of any required improvements as directed
Qualification, Experience and Skills Required:
- The Coach will normally hold or working towards a SI/UKCC Level 1 Teaching/Coaching Swimming Qualification
- Show an appropriate level of technical knowledge and the ability to share this knowledge
- Able to work with and encourage swimmers at all levels ensuring they are given the opportunity to maximise their potential
- To be self-motivated and work well within a team
- Demonstrate sensitivity and respect for the needs of all involved with the Club
- Access NI clearance and safeguarding children certificate
- Understanding of swimmer development especially transition from youth to senior
- Sound organisation and time management skills, and commitment to the club
- Ability to communicate effectively with the PASC Committee, swimmers, coaches, volunteers, parents and relevant swimming stakeholders, providing positive and constructive feedback where appropriate.