Role & Key Responsibilities of Coaches
To provide leadership to swimmers, coaches and volunteers working poolside to help all swimmers achieve their full potential up to and including national level.
- To liaise with committee to implement the Club Development Plan and inform the annual budget, reporting on progress to the committee and annually to the Club AGM
- Ensure all poolside coaching sessions and galas are resourced adequately and well run
- Carry out appropriate administration work particularly as required.
Health and Safety
- Comply with Swim Ireland, Swim Ulster, ABC, PASC and Cascades policies and procedures to ensure the safety of swimmers, coaches and parents at all times; communicate as appropriate to coaches to ensure compliance
- Ensure coaches comply with all club policies, including child welfare
- Liaise with the Club’s Children’s Officer as appropriate to ensure any child protection issues or concerns are dealt with promptly and in line with appropriate policies.
- To co-ordinate regular coaching and parent meetings
- Work closely with volunteers and parents to develop their skills and knowledge, providing feedback when required
- To develop links with swimming partners and governing bodies e.g. ABC Council, LASC, Cascades, Swim Ireland and Swim Ulster, attending relevant conferences and meetings or delegate as appropriate
- Prepare and present reports for committee meetings and AGM.
Coaching and competing
- Develop and implement a 12-month competition schedule in agreement with committee and ensure appropriate coaching representation
- Ensure parent understanding of the eligibility for galas and encourage appropriate swimmer participation
- To develop and implement a structured training programme for all squads to achieve their full potential. Determine appropriate squad for each swimmer, develop and publish the squad requirements and criteria for progression between squads
- To monitor and evaluate all existing programmes including all squad training sessions, membership etc. and implement any required improvements in consultation with the coaching team
- Lead, develop and monitor the performance of existing coaches in line with Swim Ireland qualification ensuring that all qualifications are renewed and updated as and when required
- To support and strive to continually improve performance in galas, and attend competitions in line with PASC policy
- Implement a land base strength and conditioning programme to compliment the pool based training
- Keep updated attendance registers
- Carry out coaching duties as outlined in the coaching job description.
Qualification, Experience and Skills Required:
- The Head Coach will normally hold a SI/UKCC Level 2 Coaching Swimming Qualification or above (or an equivalent qualification)
- Knowledge, experience & understanding of swimmer development especially transition from youth to senior
- A proven high level of technical knowledge & experience of leading, coaching and motivating a swimming performance programme
- Access NI clearance and current safeguarding children certificate
- Appropriate IT skills, competent with MS products, Hy-Tek and Meet Manager software
- Ability to develop swimmers’ technique, motivate and encourage high performance
- Ability to recruit, support, give direction and monitor the performance of coaches and provide regular feedback
- A first aid certificate would also be recommended
- Sound organisation and time management skills, and commitment to the club
- Ability to motivate swimmers and coaches
- Ability to communicate effectively with the PASC Committee, swimmers, coaches, volunteers and parents, to give positive and constructive feedback
- Good written and presentation skills required to prepare and present reports
- Show an appropriate level of technical knowledge.